When circulatory blockages threaten the viability of a patient’s limbs, certain factors, such as the patient’s age or overall health, can complicate treatment. The Limb Salvage team at Horizon Surgical Specialists offer a wide range of diagnostics and care for patients with chronic non healing wounds that are the result of Diabetes, Vascular Disease, Surgery, and Trauma. Saving limbs requires both the advanced medical capabilities and the specialized equipment available at Horizon Surgical Specialists. If you are at-risk for limb loss, Horizon Surgical Specialists can help.
We offer the most advanced techniques for treating limb-threatening conditions, such as:
- Advanced Peripheral Arterial Disease (PAD)
- Diabetic foot ulcers
- Lower extremity wound infection due to diabetes
- Acute and chronic infections
Vascular diseases, including diabetes and PAD (Peripheral Arterial Disease), account for more than half the amputations in the United States. With early intervention and expert care, many of these limbs can be saved.
Conditions like diabetic foot calluses can be an early warning sign of a limb-threatening disorder. Seeking help from Horizon Surgical Specialists early can help you lower the risk of complications, hospitalization and amputation. In addition, all care is given in one comprehensive setting. We will coordinate your care with experienced wound care nurses and other allied health professionals within our practice, in close collaboration with our physicians.
Horizon Surgical Specialists brings together highly specialized experts in Vascular Surgery and Podiatry to determine the most effective solutions to address your concerns. From physician evaluation and diagnosis to treatment and follow-up care, the patient is at the center of our care delivery.
The Limb Preservation Program physician team includes:
- Peter N. Purcell, MD, FACS, Vascular Surgeon
- Ross Jenkins, DPM, Podiatrist – Foot & Ankle Specialist
- Derek T. Pantiel, DPM, Podiatrist – Foot & Ankle Specialist
- Jennifer M. Mitchell, FNP-C, Vascular Nurse Practitioner
Our services include:
- Ultrasound: Horizon Surgical Specialists has the most advanced ultrasound technology. Our experienced sonographers assist physicians in the diagnosis and treatment of the full spectrum of vascular diseases such as peripheral vascular disease, carotid artery disease and more complex disorders such as aneurysms. Our sonographers uses duplex ultrasound and doppler ultrasound to assess for PAD.
- Minimally invasive vascular procedures such as angiograms, angioplasty, atherectomy, stents (mesh-like tubes inserted into arteries or veins), and advanced endovascular procedures to help blood flow, are performed in the adjacent outpatient catheterization laboratory.
- Complex surgical reconstruction performed by highly-trained and specialized surgeons.
- Our Vein Clinic is supported by a comprehensive Center for Wound Healing, a division of Caldwell UNC Healthcare, located on-site at our Lenoir location.
- We perform advanced vascular and limb salvage open surgical procedures at Caldwell-UNC Healthcare, Watauga Medical Center and Ashe Memorial Hospital.